Page 2 of 7
In 1817, the ancestral lands of Rezina belonged to courtier (spafarii) Nicolae Rossetti Roznovan. The patrimony included 20 orchards on the bank of the Dniester, 33 farms, 2 widows, 2 priests, a deacon, a sexton, and a serviceman (mazil). In 1856, Rezina could already boast of 459 farms and 1130 inhabitants. By 1924, there were already 5500 residents here. After 1812, Rezina becomes the centre of a small rural district (volost) including the villages of Tareuca, Parcani, Lipceni, Stohnaia, Sipca, Bosernita, Ciorna, Popouti, Glinjeni, Mateuti, Mihuleni, Curaturi, Solonceni, Alcedar, Poiana, Tarasova (A.Yegunov, "Perechen' naselennykh mest Bessarabii", Kishinev, 1879, p. 16). The volost was governed by an olderman (starshina) and villages - by starostas (village elders). In the second half of the 19th century Rezina volost was in charge of D.Benzari, S.Turcan; while Ion Gherlova, Nichita Turta and other persons were village elders. Our attentive reader might have noted a sharp increase in Rezina population number after the annexation of Bessarabia by the Russian Empire. The phenomenon resulted from the tsarist policy of colonization and russification of Bessarabia. Favourable conditions were created for colonists settling in our land for permanent residence. They were granted Russian citizenship, exempt from taxes, relieved from military service, etc. That is why Bessarabia was flooded by Gagauz, Bulgarian, Jewish, German and other colonists. The 1886 statistics shows a sharp increase in \he number of Jewish dwellers of Rezina. For example, in 1886 there were 1738 Jews here, while in 1897 they formed the majority of the population. This can be explained by the fact that Rezina was a favourably situated trade centre, especially after the construction of the Slobodca - Balti railway line in 1894. In the mid- 19th c., Rezina belonged to landowners Nicolae Roznovan, Ecaterina Ghica, and in the late 19th c. - to Baron Nikolai Rosen who owned 188 dessiatinas (507.6 acres) of land and 656 dessiatinas (1771.2 acres) of woods. Archival materials attest to the fact that in May 1903 Baron N.Rosen endowed Rezina church with 301 roubles for repairs. In 1812-1813, there was a wooden church in Rezina built in 1800. In 1859 a new church was built from stone. In 1877, there were 3 Judaic prayer houses, of which 2 were private and 1 - public. In the first half of the 19th c. children were educated mostly privately, and in 1870 a public school was opened to teach the children reading and writing. Simultaneously a 1-grade meris college was founded with Russian as the language of instruction. It should be noted that the Russian tsars did everything to suppress the national self-consciousness of Bessarabians. In 1867 there was not a single school with Romanian as the language of instruction. This fact demonstrates the authorities attitude towards the local population, whereas Germans, Bulgarians, Greeks and Jews were allowed to establish schools with instruction in their mother tongues.