Page 6 of 7
In April 1944, the district executive committee was formed in Rezina whose members were: A.Bordovitsyn, L.Tuhari, E.Doroftienko, P.Karavaev, V.Samokhin, V.Poludnenko, V.Shubemetsky. E.Doroftienko was appointed chairman. The town Soviet was chaired first by M.Perju (July 1944) and later by F.Kanonenko (since November 1946). The first elections to Rezina town soviet were held on December 21, 1947, with 27 depuies elected. U.Fruntas was elected chairman, to be subsequently succeeded by G.Perstnev, K.Zakharov and G.Parshkov. There were also a number of changes in the administrative and territorial structure of Rezina. Thus, on May 17, 1944, district executive committee decided to unite Rezina and Stohnaia villages in the framework of a single village soviet; however, in the years to follow there were attempts to pass Rezina village over to the town soviet. Ciorna village soviet was restored in May 1944. Immediately after the restoration of the soviet power in Rezina the authorities conducted a population and material values census. According to its results, there were 2050 inhabitants living in 193 houses with a total dwelling space of 7400 sq.m; of these, 74 houses were communal property. The population number evidently decreased as many locals perished in the war, were missing or deported in 1940-1941, while 146 persons emigrated to Romania. A sharp increase in the number of Jews and an increase in the number of Russins was recorded. The majority of Jews emigrated in 1941 as a result of the anti-Semite policies pursued by Germany. Measures were taken to restore industrial enterprises and demolished buildings. On April 5, 1944, a decision was made by the district executive committee to rehabilitate the local prewar group of plants with F.Vieru appointed as its director. To ensure effective construction, a specialized construction body was formed headed by V.Tsvinkailo. In 1947 Rezina disposed of a winery, a vegetable-oil plant, a tannery, a jam-producing plant, a group of industrial plants, and 67 peasant farms. In 1949, a kolkhoz named after Shchors appeared instead of a group of peasant farms in the town of Rezina, with similar reorganizations taking place in Rezina village (collective farm named after Frunze). Thus private land ownership was liquidated with the state becoming the sole Ian doner. On June 5-6, 1949, 195 families were deported from Rezina district to Siberia and their possessions were passed over to state organizations. Another tragedy survived by Rezina dwellers was the 1946-1947 famine caused by forced deliveries of foodstuffs. All bread stocks were requisitioned. 252 children became orphaned in this tragical period. Instead of normal food people consumed leaves, weeds and acorns. At the same time a blasphemous tendency prevailed as regards people dying of hunger, as the government. of the Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic reported to Moscow the figures of exceeding production plans: butter production - by 33.2%, vegetable oil - by 39.5%, meat - by 32.5%, canned products - by 101.9%.